Introduction about Education and Research Facility of Animal Models for Human Diseases in Fujita Health University
The gross area of the facility: 2,000 m2 (square meter).
The area of animal center is classified as three specifications,
1. SPF (specific pathogen free) area
(barrier system: high efficiency particulate air filter)
2. Semi-SPF area (barrier system: high efficiency particulate air filter)
3. Conventional area (open system)
for the following purposes.
SPF area: Breeding valuable/unique mouse strains
Semi-SPF area: Breeding valuable mouse/rat strains,
Drug treatment studies,
Conventional area: Short-term studies
20,000 (twenty thousand) animals are used per every year in this facility.
Animal Species; Mouse: 85%, Rat: 14%, Others (Rabbit, Hamster, Gerbil, Fish etc.): 1%, Dogs and/or cats have not been used over 20 years. Recently, the ratio of gene targeted mice and rats are increasing as a global trend. In fact, 70% animals in this facility were gene targeted mice and/or rats in year 2009.
Studying mechanisms and treatments of human disease by the use of valuable animal models is a strong advantage of our university. Over 60 papers including animal studies in medical field are published in peer reviewed journals (such as Nature, Science and major journals in each field) from Fujita Health University every year. Nagao’s laboratory focuses on the mechanisms of human diseases and therapeutic treatments using unique animal models, has published four papers in nephrology and transplant field in year 2010.
Three Educational Programs on Animal Studies:
Anyone who plans to start animal study in Fujita Health University is required to take one of the following programs.
(1) Program for undergraduate students
(2) Program for graduate students
(3) Program for researchers (including technicians)
Contents of each program
(1) Importance of animal study
(2) Animal laws, regulations and animal rights
(3) Animal models for human diseases
(4) Controlling of genotype, phenotype and drama-type
(Inbred strain, Out-bred strain, Mutant strain, Targeted mice and rats)
(5) Controlling of pathogen (Zoonosis)
(6) How to make plans of animal study
(7) How to write protocols of animal study
(8) How to take care of mice and rats
(9) How to handle mice and rats
(10) How to treat compounds to mice and rats
(11) How to collect / take samples (urine, blood, organs and tissues etc.).
(12) Topics in animal studies and laboratory animals
(13) How to avoid laboratory animal allergy (LAA)
(14) How to use the animal center housing and facilities