Welcome to the Division of Gene Expression Mechanism!
All the genetic information, DNA, is packed in the cell nucleus-the minimal unit of the life-and believe or not, 99% of the content is non-coding. The pre-mRNAs transcribed from genes are indeed horribly interrupted by non-coding sequences, termed ‘introns’. The mRNAs, serving as designs for proteins, are elaborated after the meticulous work to remove introns, termed ‘splicing’. We, the team of the Division of Gene Expression Mechanism, are studying to elucidate the precise mechanism of this essential splicing, and trying to investigate the splicing defects causing serious diseases. We are studying hard in the small laboratory, but having big ideas.
- A paper by Dr. Toshiki Kameyama et al. has been appeared in Electronic-version!
Matsushita, F., Kameyama, T., Kadokawa, Y. and Marunouchi, T. (2013) Spatio-temporal expression pattern of Myt/NZF family zinc finger transcription factors during mouse nervous system development. Dev. Dyn. in press [doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24091].
- Our paper in collaboration with Dr. Kinji Ohno Laboratory(Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine) has been published!
Rahman, M.A., Masuda, A., Ohe, K., Ito, M., Hutchinson, D.O., Mayeda, A., Engel, A.G. and Ohno, K. (2013) HnRNP L and hnRNP LL antagonistically modulate PTB-mediated splicing supression of CHRNA1pre-mRNA. Sci. Rep., 3, 2931.
- Our paper by Dr. Hitoshi Suzuki (former Postdoc; Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) has been published!
Suzuki, H., Kameyama, T., Ohe, K., Tsukahara, T. and Mayeda, A. (2013) Nested introns in an intron: evidence of multi-stepp splicing of a large intron in the human dystrophin pre-mRNA. FEBS Lett., 587, 555-561.
- The Chunichi newspaper has reported the below publication in the article, entitled
'Aberrant proteins in cancer cells: Finding for the possible mechanism'
- Our paper by Dr. Toshiki Kameyama (Assistant Professor) has been published!
Kameyama, T., Suzuki, H. and Mayeda, A. (2012) Re-splicing of mature mRNA in cancer cells promotes activation of distant weak alternative splice sites. Nucleic Acids Res, 40, 7896-7906.
- Our paper by Dr. Noriko Sasaki-Haraguchi (Postdoc) has been published!
Sasaki-Haraguchi, N., Shimada, M.K., Taniguchi, I., Ohno, M. and Mayeda, A. (2012) Mechanistic insights into human pre-mRNA splicing of human ultra-short introns: Potential unusual mechanism identifies G-rich introns. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 423, 289–294.